On 17 September 2020, the European Commission officially announced the launch of the European Green Deal (https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/ip_20_1669) as part of Horizon 2020. With a budget of EUR 1 billion, research and innovation projects are to be funded in eight thematic areas, which correspond to the central work areas of the European Green Deal:
- Increasing climate ambition
- Clean, affordable and secure energy
- Industry for a clean and circular economy
- Energy and resource efficient buildings
- Sustainable and smart mobility
- Farm to fork
- Biodiversity and ecosystems
- Zero-pollution, toxic-free environments
In addition, participants are invited to submit project proposals in two horizontal areas that have a long-term perspective:
- Strengthening our knowledge in support of the European Green Deal
- Empowering citizens for the transition towards a climate neutral, sustainable Europe
The call opened on 18 September 2020, and applications can be submitted via the Funding and Tender Opportunities Portal (https://ec.europa.eu/info/funding-tenders/opportunities/portal/screen/home).
The submission deadline will be 26 January, 2021; projects selected for funding are foreseen to start in autumn 2021.
An information day with contact exchange for the European Green Deal Call is offered as part of the virtual European Research and Innovation Days (https://research-innovation-days.ec.europa.eu/about), which will take place on 22-24 September 2020.
FNR is always looking for interesting possibilities for EU-project cooperation; GD calls will be published on https://international.fnr.de/get-in-touch/funding-opportunities/horizon-2020.
The working programme of the GD and its topics can be found here: https://ec.europa.eu/research/participants/data/ref/h2020/wp/2018-2020/main/h2020-wp1820-cc-activities_en.pdf
We are looking forward to getting in touch with you soon!