European Committee for Standardization
The European Committee for Standardization (CEN) has developed a number of technical and sustainability standards with relevance for bio-based products and bioenergy.
CEN/TC 411 has worked on horizontal standards for bio-based products covering:
- Common terminology (EN 16575:2014 Bio-based products – Vocabulary),
- Determination of the bio-based content (EN 16640:2017; EN 16640:2017/AC:2017; EN 16785-1:2015)
- Sustainability criteria and LCA (EN 16751:2016; EN16760:215)
CEN/TC 249 Plastics, specifically Working Group 9 “Bio-based and biodegradable plastics” developed various standards e.g.:
- EN 14995:2006 (Plastics – Evaluation of compostability)
- EN 17228:2019 (Plastics – Bio-based polymers, plastics, and plastics products – terminology, characteristics and communication).
Other CEN Committees worked on Biopolymers (TC2 49/WG 17), Biolubricants (CEN/TC 19/WG 33) and Surface active agents (CEN/TC 276).
FNR contact person: Dr Norbert Holst
CEN has developed a number of technical standards for biofuels as well as other bioenergy carriers, often liaising with the European Commission. For more details please visit the website of the European Committee for Standardization and the website "Biofuels" of the European Commission.
The main task of the Technical Committee CEN/TC 383 “Sustainability Criteria for biomass” relates to standards directly supporting the implementation of the European Renewable Energy Directive 2009/28/EC. The aim is to define criteria, which support the evidence for sustainable produced biomass for energetic use. Only biomass with a proof of sustainability can be taken into account when calculating the achievement of the targets for the share of renewable energy laid down in the directive.
In Germany the DIN-Committee NA 172-00-10 AA “Sustainability Criteria for Biomass” is the responsible committee for standardisation in the field of sustainable bioenergy at national, European and international level.
FNR contact person: Birger Kerckow