The ERA-Net Cofund on Biotechnologies was an action under Horizon 2020 that built upon the achievements of ERA-IB-2 (ERA-Net for Industrial Biotechnology 2), ERASysAPP (ERA-Net for Applied Systems Biology) and ERASynBio (ERA-Net for Synthetic Biology). ERA CoBioTech was active from 2016 to 2022.
ERA CoBioTech brought together 23 partners and 3 observers from 20 countries in order to jointly focus on:
- maximising synergies between current mechanisms of biotechnology research funding in Europe,
- fostering the exchange of knowledge across borders,
- highlighting the benefits of a bio-based economy for society,
- maintaining and strengthening Europe’s position in biotechnology.
Within ERA CoBioTech three joint calls were implemented:
- Joint cofunded Call
- Second transnational call for research projects
- Third transnational call for research projects
Within all three calls, thirty two transnational projects with a total public funding of more than 50 Millionen Euro were funded. BMEL, via FNR, funded partners in two transnational projects (INDIE; C1PRO)
Next to the cofunded and additional calls, further activities were implemented:
- developing a Strategic Agenda for ERA CoBioTech
- creating an Agenda for Responsible Research and Innovation in ERA CoBioTech
- establishing a European Biotechnology Hub including
- compiling Joint policy briefs (led by FECYT)
- establishing the ERA CoBioTech Video Contest (led by MIZS)
In ERA CoBioTech, FNR was responsible for the preparation of the cofunded call, led the organisation of status seminars for the funded projects and Training Workshops for the Biotechnology Hub stakeholders (managers of the funded projects) and supported the implementation of the ERA CoBioTech video contest and preparation of joint policy briefs.
Further information about ERA CoBioTech and the joint calls:
ERA CoBioTech has received funding from the European Union's Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No 722361.